CatsPets

Removing Tar from Cat's Fur

Category Cats

My cat is very old and she somehow managed to get tar on her back legs, I think she has it on her mouth. She's very hard to get a hold of for very long, so I need to know the best way to get the tar out without making her sick. She is eating and drinking, but she is having problems chewing. I need help ASAP.Thank you.

Cathy

Trim what you can, and use something like vegetable or mineral oil on her fur and see if you can't get it to slide off the hairs. Or shave her carefully after trimming.

I don't know if it will work on tar, but animal rescue groups use Dawn dish detergent to wash the goo out of the birds feathers, when there has been an oil spill. It worked pretty well when one of my cats got into diesel fuel!

I rubbed some coconut oil (food grade for humans) on my cat's tail and then used a flea comb to gently comb through and catch the tar. It worked really well and my cat loved the smell of the coconut oil.