Clothing StainsCleaning

Removing Dark Stains from Cotton Sweater

I have a white cotton sweater that must be laid flat to dry. I was searching for a place to lay it and the top of my wicker laundry hamper seemed a perfect spot. Unfortunately, the hamper is darkly stained and that stain is apparently not water proof.

When I picked up my now dry sweater, there were dark streaks all over it from the hamper. I have no clue what kind of stain it is. Is my sweater ruined? I'm soaking it in Biz, and then I figured I'd try soaking it in OxyClean, but I really don't have high hopes for either.

By Ratatosk from Galion, OH

Maybe try giving your sweater a new look if your stain removal doesn't work. Dying it a similar color to the stain would give you a like new sweater, and it could be fun to have a newish piece of clothing to wear (I never had luck with white clothes myself, keeping them white!). Have fun and good luck!

Thanks. I had that thought actually, but I really liked this sweater and it's practically new. After the previously mentioned soaking, plus a soaking in simple green, most of the stains are out, but there are two stubborn spots that refuse to budge, so I'm still looking for ideas. Thanks!