CanningFood and Recipes

End of Growing Season Canning

Category Canning

Toward the end of the growing season as production is slowing down, I begin canning a concoction I call Vegetable Medley. There won't be enough of the Red Ripper cowpeas, for example, to fill the canner, so whatever a day's harvest brings in gets combined - some kernels of corn, slices of okra, diced tomatoes, small chucks of squash, onion, celery, beans, peas - just whatever is out there and without regard to ingredient proportions.

For my single-person household, I can in pints. For guest meals, I can always open more jars. These V-M portions are so handy. With a bit of leftover ham or a can of tuna, I can put pot pies together quickly. With chicken or turkey stock a tasty soup is ready to be enjoyed.

The same idea can be used with a dehydrator. I recently invested in an Excalibur and plan to create some dried V-M as well.

By Yuska from San Antonio, TX

What a cool idea!
I have an ExCal DeHyd. too.
You can bet I'll be using this tip in the near future!
Mind if I present this to my MG group?
TIA-
Cheryl

I know some people who just throw their sparse remainder of vegetables out because there's not enough left to do anything with. I put mine into freezer bags and just freeze until I need them.

Why pay for mixed vegetables for soups, stews, casseroles, or pot pies when you can get them for free. I've had some of the best meals this way. And I like the fact that each bag varies.