FurnitureCleaning

Micro Fiber Furniture and Pets

I have had a leather sofa for about 11 years and I'm considering buying a new sofa made of micro-fiber.

Since I have 3 dogs and they spend as much time on the sofa as the humans in my family, I am wondering if anyone can share their experience with keeping such a sofa clean. Are they easy to spot clean? Is it necessary to spray it with a "Scotch-guard" type of spray to protect it from dirt and stains ahead of time? If so, will it effect the color of the fabric and is it effective?

The one I am looking at is a khaki color. I understand that shedding is a separate issue, and I will have to clean it with a lint roller regularly with my herd. The distressed finish on the leather sofa I have now (it's called bomber jacket leather) has been great because it has a "beat-up" appearance to it. Surface spots or scratches go relatively unnoticed, but it is beginning to sag so I think it's time to replace it.

I'm pretty sure the micro-fiber won't be as forgiving when it comes to wet dogs, paw-prints, etc. Thank you in advance for any advice or personal experiences you may be able to offer.

By Donna from San Diego

I have a microfiber recliner and I find it cleans very easily with just a damp rag. I have used window cleaner sprayed on a cloth and wipe/scrub. It does very nicely. Put on a pair of rubber gloves and just rub the shedding hair off. Good luck!

I definitely would NOT go with micro-fiber and especially a light colored one. We have light gray and have had it professionally cleaned - it still looks as though it is dirty. It seems to collect oils from our skin and the nap rubs off leaving darker areas and they look like dirt. I would NEVER buy micro-fiber again.

I would suggest that you google Micro Fiber and click on "images" tab to see what the "used" furniture looks like. You will find new furniture, but keep looking through the pictures for used furniture that is for sale. You will see what I'm talking about. The dark areas get darker and darker with age.