Cleaning Honeycomb Fabric Blinds

Cleaning honeycomb style blinds can be quite difficult to do without damaging their rather delicate structure. This is a guide about cleaning honeycomb fabric blinds.

I have honeycomb fabric blinds that are very dirty with dust, cigarette smoke, and probably more. They are (should be) cream colored. Any suggestions how to clean them?

Thanks!
Mary Kay from Marengo, IL

Answers

By Jaan Dittloff (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Take them down and fill bathtub with a mild dish soap and rinse them up and down in the bathwater. This should clean them and I would hang them in the tub to dry I did this for years. You may have to rinse them several times until clean.

My horizontal honeycomb blinds are in my bathroom. They look horrible from the steam and dust. Can they be cleaned in my bathtub or at the cleaners?

Answers

They are not usually washable. Try using a feather duster or compressed air to blow sway the dirt

Call the store where you got them if possible and ask for the best method.

I had some that came with an apartment and I dust busted them but they never came fully clean. I loved the look but when I moved I went with old fashion plastic blinds. So much less work.

Water usually damages the honeycomb ones. Never use Windex or anything like that either unless the store gives the ok. I lost a little of my security deposit from that damage :(

It seems there are several kinds (brands) of these shades and some can be gently washed in the bathtub. Check out your brand before trying too much as some will not take even a little water.

There is some way to chemically clean the blinds but not all cleaners will have this system because it is a specialized service (and probably expensive).

Here is a link that has some suggestions but trying some of them might be risky but it appears some people do it this way.

www.blinds.com/.../

If your blinds are too grimy then you may just want to remove them and replace with vertical blinds that do not accumulate as much dust/dirt and can usually be cleaned.

I am trying to clean honeycomb blinds which have been hanging in a home where the residents smoked cigarettes. How can I take out the yellow tobacco stain?

By Judy S from Cleveland, OH