My Dog is Breathing Heavy and Hangs Her Tongue Out

My dog is leaning her head to one side. The Dr. could not find an ear infection and nothing in the blood work. She is treating her for an inner ear infection. Now she is breathing a little heavy and hangs her tongue out. Please if anyone has heard of this, help.

By Gladys

Her tongue is not hanging out anymore. Her head is still leaning and I am concerned

Is she still breathing heavy. I think that's the most troublesome symptom. Has she been checked for heart or lung issues? Is she old?

Anonymous

No she has not been checked

Some years back my dog had a similar episode. Her head tilted to the side and her tongue hung out. She appeared to have had a stroke, so I rushed her to the vet and found that she had something called vestibular old dog syndrome. I have also heard it just called vestibular syndrome. They said it can come on suddenly and last or resolve itself. (I think it has something to do with the inner ear, but mimics a stroke.)

They gave her Valium and let her sleep for the better part of the day, monitoring her throughout. When she woke up, she was weak, but perfectly fine. She remained fine for several years and at roughly 16 yrs, she had another episode, at which point we put her down. Ask your vet if he is familiar with vestibular syndrome, as I believe it is fairly common among older dogs. Not sure how old your pup is, or if it can occur in younger dogs. All the best to you both.

Please have her checked for Oronasal fistula. Hole in the gum that goes to nasal cavity. Food gets stuck in that tube and they have breathing problems, infection, lots of problems.

I have been reading up on the vascular syndrome, I think this may be it. I will say that she is only 6 years old. She is still being treated for her inner ear, but it's not helping. She seems fine other then the lean of her head and only sometime of the breathing and tongue.

Thanks for all that are helping

Change your Veterinarian.

Pets Dogs HealthAugust 15, 2010
🍀
💘