AdviceGardening

Removing a Root System

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get rid of and/or prevent further growth of a very strong root system found in my yard. It is found especially under trees. It grows around all plants I try to plant. It is a netting of small, strong roots that hold my plants back from being all they could be. I have dug many holes and ripped so much of it out but still over time it comes back. Any advice?

Thanks.
Sue from Hingham, MA

It would be helpful for us to know what the roots are from? Some trees, such as willows have a rather extensive root system. If you go removing it, you may end up killing your trees. You may need to plant your pants further away from the trees.

It depends on how much you like the plant. If you like it and disturb the roots, you can kill it. Some plants with roots that interfere with the sidewalk, sewer or plumbing must be removed