Easily Root Flower and Tree Cuttings

Category Cuttings
Using floral foam you can create an environment to root a variety of plants from cuttings. Here you can learn to easily root flower and tree cuttings.

Many people here on the islands love the flowers and trees I grow in my garden. However, each time I give them a cutting they can start growing in their garden they seem to die. Therefore, I want to share with you a simple way to root cuttings from different flowers or trees that you can plant in your garden.

Material Needed:

• recycled floral sponge foam
  • recycled food trays
  • old kitchen knife
  • cuttings from different flowers and plants
  • recycled cutting board

Directions:

1. Clean your old food trays or microwaveable trays with soap and water.
  2. Recover all the floral sponge foam from your different floral arrangements.
  3. On your cutting board sit the food tray and a block of floral sponge foam.
  4. Measure the foam to fit inside the recycled food tray.
  5. Use an old kitchen knife to cut the foam down the middle first and then around the sides. The foam needs to sit tightly in the bottom of the recycled food tray.
  6. Cut the foam into 6 to 8 evenly sized pieces.
  7. Remove the leaves from the bottom of your cutting and gently push the branch into the foam in your recycled tray.
  8. Fill the bottom of the tray with water and set the tray in an area that doesn't receive too much sun.

Within one to two weeks, you will start to see the root growing from the bottom of the branches. Make sure you keep the foam wet at all times. Each day I fill the bottom of my trays half way full with water. This keeps the foam wet and allows the branches to grow roots. After the roots have grown through the foam it is time to plant your cuttings.

Remove the branch from the tray, foam and all. Place dirt in the bottom of your pot and sit the foam in the middle of the dirt. Finish filling the pot with dirt.

For the first two to three weeks allow the newly potted cutting to receive moderate sunlight. After you see new leaves growing on your branch you can move the flower pot to another area in your garden.

1. Photo Description Many people here on the islands love the flowers and trees I grow in my garden. However, each time I give them a cutting they can start growing in their garden they seem to die. Therefore, I want to share with you a simple way to root cuttings from different flowers or trees that you can plant in your garden.

Material Needed:

Recycled Floral Sponge Foam
    Recycled Food Trays
    Old Kitchen Knife
    Cutting from different flowers and plants
    Recycled Cutting Board

Directions

6. Use your knife to cut down the middle of the foam inside the recycled tray.
    7. Cut the foam into 6 to 8 evenly sized pieces.
    8. Remove the leaves from the bottom of your cutting and gently push the branch into the foam in your recycled tray.
    9. Fill the bottom of the tray with water and set the tray in an area that doesnt receive too much sun.

For the first two to three weeks allow the new potted cutting to receive moderate sunlight. After you see new leaves growing on your branch you can move the flower pot to another area in your garden.
  2. Ad

3. Photo Location Paea, French Polynesia Tahiti

Top Comment

In the States, we call this foam, 'Oasis'. I always wondered if it would be a good rooting medium. I see from your tip that it is. Thanks for the helpful information.

Thank you for posting this and thanks for the clear instructions.
I will have to buy my "Oasis" as everyone always gives me living plants so I have no "free" medium.

Thank you for the English name for the foam. I wasn't sure of the exact translation. Anyhow, this is the easiest and fastest way to root plant cutting.

You are welcome cybergrannie. I have been using this system for years now. I have a friend who dips her branches into a rooting liquid before she places them in the foam.

However, I have never found a need for this and I can easily root my plants with this system.