Removing Food Stains on Clothing

My son has a cream colored sweater with old food stains on it. I've tried Resolve and Shout to remove the stain, but nothing works. Does anyone have some suggestions that might work? I thought about having the sweater airbrushed to cover the 3 spots, I hate to throw it away.

By Quietstorm1176 from Brooklyn, NY

Try a Tide stain stick. I've found it very good on stains. When you use it scrub it in with an old tooth brush. You might also try one of the others again but put them in a small bowl and let the shirt soak in it. Scrub it occasionally with a tooth brush but let the stuff really get into it.

If the sweater is washable, make a solution of 1 cup powdered dish washer detergent and warm water in a bucket. Make sure that it is deep enough to cover the sweater. Submerge the sweater and leave at least over night. 2 days' soak is even better. Wash as usual. I have used this on baby food stained bibs and clothing, and it has worked well. If you don't have a dishwasher, the el cheapo detergent from the dollar store will work.

How about stenciling designs on top of the spots? It will definitely make a new sweater for you. Laine

How do you remove food stains from clothing? They are mostly tomato based, ketchup, spaghetti sauce, etc.

By Nancy

Answers:

Removing Food Stains on Clothing

I have started using Simple Green for laundry stains. I first used it on the coveralls that hubby uses when he works outside on equipment, then started using it on white socks, then I tried it on the regular laundry. A spray bottle of Simple Green is about $3, it is concentrated even in the spray bottle, but I wet whatever I want to try first, then spray with the Simple Green, let them set for about 30 minutes, and wash. I have not had anything ruined or adversely affected by it, but we don't have any clothes that are delicate or dry clean only.

Hope you find something that works! (07/19/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Removing Food Stains on Clothing

A little dish detergent on the stain works for me most every time even stains that have been set. Also try using vinegar in your bleach dispenser. If nothing else it really brightens up the colors. Good luck! (07/23/2010)

By JuliaY

Removing Food Stains on Clothing

The best stuff ever is a cleaner you can get at the Dollar Store, Dollar General, and even Wal-mart. GOOP! Rub some in on the stain before washing (you can let it sit for a few minutes if you want) then toss in and wash. It removes Kool-aid and blood along with grass stains and a myriad of other things, too. (08/02/2010)

By BeverleeOK