Organizing Cookbooks

Category Books
If you love to cook you probably have a small library of cookbooks, each with their own way of sorting the recipes they have. Keeping your cookbooks organized will make it that much easier to find the recipes you want. This is a guide about organizing cookbooks.

I had collected lots of recipe books, some with only one or two recipes that I liked to use. I was tired of these books taking up room in my kitchen so I bought a large photo album with see through pockets. I then went through all the recipe books and cut out the recipes I definitely wanted and placed them in the album.

If the recipe books were in good condition, I copied the recipes out on file cards and passed the books onto the charity shop. I sorted the recipes into sections for meat, poultry, fish, breads, sweets etc. Now I have only one book to look through and it is wipe-clean.

Hi, does anyone have any ideas on how to organize spiral bound cookbooks, the kind that you can buy from churches, schools etc. I have dozens of these but it is very hard to look for a particular one that I need, plus just laying them on the shelf is not very attractive.

Answers

I just stand mine up along with the rest of my HB books. However you might want to try labeling the spines with self adhesive labels. I have TONS of the cookbooks that you can buy off the register. They are about 5X8 or so and they are paperback. With those I have organising baskets that I put them in. "Spine" up and I just flip thru those when I need one. You may also want to stand your as you would any shelf of books and alphabetise them. You can make and index card or something to lay across the top, telling what order they are in, or number their spines and use the card to keep track of which # is which book. I have soooo many ideas, I hope these are clear! HTH & GL!

I don't know what these things are called but they're really big in the scrapbooking world right now. They are those tags that are round or rectangular and are rimmed with metal....You can get them on string and wind them through the spines so they'll hang where you can see them. Or at the hardware store they come on thin metal key rings which might be less likely to get tangled up.

You can get them in different colors, too, so maybe ones for desserts could be one color and ones for dinners, another, and cookbooks that have a bit of everything could be another...

I have alot of cookbooks also and I make them for special occasions as gifts. I find that liquor store boxes cut down to fit a shelf and then labeled works great I cut them down and then duct (duck tape)tape them back together this way I can quickly look through them when I need one. I make these so they look like the cardboard organizers for magazines. You can spray paint them or cover with fabric or paper. Hope this helps.

Use empty cereal boxes with the top 2/3 cut off diagonally like a magazine holder. This way the books will stand up and you'll be able to read the spines.