Black Ice Tea For IBS

I have had IBS symptoms due to the various medications I need to take. I have been suffering off and on for months.

About a month ago I started to drink medium strong black (traditional) ice tea. With in a few days of drinking about 3 quarts of ice tea per day, my IBS symptoms stopped. (Sweetened with Blue and Pink packets.)

Now I feel healthy, my system is back to normal.
I feel like a new man. :)

Has anyone else experienced this kind of relief and or any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zabe

I too have IBS. I drink peppermint tea to help me. Whenever I am having an attack which can go on for a couple of hours, I discovered that drinking a HOT cup of VERY strong Peppermint tea would stop the attack! For me, it works wonders!

i would like to just say thanks robin for all your great recipes!!!!

i to have ibs. be careful drinking so much tea. all that caffiene can actually dehydrate you. try peppermint tea, chamomille tea or if you have to have caffiene - green tea.

I am glad you found relief, but isn't 3 quarts of tea a day a little too much? I don't know how many other liquids you consume, but I would consult my doctor about it. You would be drinking 12 glasses of tea a day. That would seem like a lot of caffeine, and liquid too, if you are consuming other liquids.
If anyone has heart problems, his/her fluid intake should be apporved by a physician.

This is some information that I got from the Mayo Clinic website:
Staying safely hydrated

Make a conscious effort to keep yourself hydrated and make water your beverage of choice. Nearly every healthy adult can consider the following:

Drink a glass of water with each meal and between each meal.
Take water breaks instead of coffee or tea breaks.
Substitute sparkling water for alcoholic drinks at social gatherings.

If you drink water from a bottle, thoroughly clean or replace the bottle often. Every time you drink, bacteria from your mouth contaminate water in the bottle. If you use a bottle repeatedly, make sure that the bottle is designed for reuse. To keep it clean, wash your container in hot, soapy water or run it through a dishwasher before refilling it.

Though uncommon, it's possible to drink too much water. Drinking excessive amounts can overwhelm your kidneys' ability to get rid of the water. This can lead to hyponatremia, a condition in which excess water intake dilutes the normal amount of sodium in the blood. People who are older, who have certain medical conditions such as congestive heart failure and cirrhosis, or who are taking certain diuretics are at higher risk of hyponatremia.

Drinking too much water is rare in healthy adults who consume an average American diet. Check with your doctor or a registered dietitian if you're concerned about drinking too much or too little water. He or she can help you determine the amount that's best for you.

Good luck to you!

Lots of cafeinne and tannic acid in the tea can't be good for you. Must be the increased fluids. Try some plain water instead of that much tea.

Anonymous

LOL
I meant to say that I drink 3 16 oz glasses of ice tea a day. LOL I do drink about the same amount of water as well.

I will see my primary physician tomorrow. I will ask him about my tea intake, I do feel so much better.:)

Thanks for all your help.
Zabe

Black tea any tea for that matter is better for you than plain H20. Tea not only hydrates but also has the health benefit of antioxidants which help prevent cancer. It is a myth that tea dehydrates and there have been many studies done in England that refute that claim. If you are going to consume large quantities it would be best to choose caffeine free. Look at Asian countries tea is one of the staples in their diet attributed to their good health and longevity.

http://healthla  -is--than-water/