Urine Smell on Toddler's Clothing After Being Washed

My 2 year old son occasionally urinates through his diaper and the urine gets on his onesie and pajamas. What I've begun to notice is that even though I wash these items, the urine smell remains. Is there anything I can add to the wash load to help with the smell. I've tried Oxiclean but that hasn't worked.

Thank you so much in advance.
keligator from Bensalem, PA

Use white vinegar. My son sometimes wets his bed and I read on here to use vinegar in the wash. I can't really tell you how much to use, I just dump some in with his bedding. I have a front loading washer and would guess I use between 1/2 a cup per or a cup per load. I would say just experiment until it seems to work. The best thing is vinegar is cheap.

I still use borax if I have smelly laundry! You can find the 20-mule-team borax in the laundry aisle of the store.

I agree .. use white vinegar! It works wonder with smells of any sorts! I use it with my kids clothes in the Downy ball instead of softener. Good luck to you! My 2 year old is in the same boat as yours .. hopefully the leaky diapers will be a thing of the past soon!

Rebekah

if vinegar doesn't work, there is a concentrated cleaner i found at the dollar store called mean green. i think the label says a half a cap per load of laundry. you might try soaking it in that. i soak the hubbys work clothes in it, it has a nice 'clean' fragrance once washed.

To remove urine smell from clothing use about 1/2 cup of vinegar (white not apple cider) in the wash. Your clothes will be whiter and cleaner with no smell.

Karen in Pensacola

Thanks so much for the feedback. Hopefully the inexpensive white vinegar does the trick!!!

If vinegar doesn't work, try 1/2 cup pine-sol. It disinfects and deoderizes. Happened to me when the borax wasn't enough!

You can buy fabreeze under private labels at the dollars store. Spray well, let set, wash, spritz again. This has helped even when the cat confuses the hamper with the litter box, and cat urine is way stronger than human.

I was looking for info. on urine smell remaining in clothes. My mom is 85 and has Alzheimers and I do her laundry. After a while, even the vinegar doesn't work. I will try the mean green. Thanks

OH! I forgot to add...you need to double rinse the pine-sol, just to be safe!

Anonymous

Pinsol is what works the best from what I have found. I tried vinegar, and soaking for 24 hours and washed etc and there was still a faint smell, then after drying it was pretty noticeable again. When I tried pinesol, I started laundry as normal, detergent, oxi clean, put a small amount of dawn dishsoap in, and then put 1 to two cups pinesol in and wash as normal with extra rinse cycle. I also added 1\2cup mouth wash, as I heard this works well too, and figured maybe I'd get twice the odor eliminator power. I didn't soak or anything and they came out smelling not like urine. Even after drying they were okay. I ran them through one more load though with just my normal washing detergent and scenty booster.washed and dryer fine and didn't smell like urine. I am potty training my son so I've even done this with his sheets and his pj's.