BathroomCleaning

Motor Grease Stains in Bathtub

Category Bathroom

My husband is a mechanic and gets very greasy at times. When he showers the tub gets so nasty and I clean it constantly. However, I still have black places in the tub from grease and oil stains. I have tried a number of things but just can't figure it out.

Crystal from SC

Try Bar Keeper's Friend. It worked on my tub bottom when it was gray and dingy from very hard water deposits. It's the only thing that has worked. I use it every week!

Have you tryed using a degreaser on your tub? You can get a bottle at the dollar store. It should work on the tub. You can also use it on your stove and to get spots out of your clothes. Good luck...

try Zud it comes in a yellow ajax size can it remove just about anything

Bar Keepers Friend is good. Vinegar or Lime Away will also dissolve the minerals (that may be what the dingy stuffy is clinging to.) Let it sit a few minutes then wipe away.

Use Greased Lightning spray (at Walmart). Melted baked on grease of drip pan from a smoker.

Ask the greasy fellow to wipe the tub down with a soapy rag, then rinse (which is easy to do with a shower head on a hose) before he exits the shower. Tell him you'll be "in the mood" more often if you have fewer backaches from scrubbing the tub. If there are stubborn spots it's probably because they are dirt mixed with dried hard water scale, and those are best attacked before they dry. It's the same reason he uses a chamois to dry his car right after washing it. For existing spots try vinegar to dissolve the scale and Pine Sol to dissolve the grease.

Can he shower somewhere else? Lol! That's a nasty burden to have to put on you. I've always had luck with a product called CLR. It cleans calcium deposits, lime, and rust, hence the CLR. It's pretty potent so I would think it'd be a cinch on motor grease, too. Just be sure when you use it that the bathroom is well ventilated and run the fan.

Anonymous

My husband is a mechanic as well. I have had the same problem. Normal cleaners don't cut it. I have had the best results using equal parts white vinegar and original blue Dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle. I spray it down and let it soak for a while, 30 mins to an hr. I have let it sit overnight when it was really grungy. Then wipe it down good. It can be slippery if not rinsed well. Doesn't usually require a lot of elbow grease. Idk what Dawn puts in their detergent but it is some powerful stuff! Lol. The vinegar smell is pretty strong, so be prepared to smell pickles in the bathroom for a while. Good luck!

Is water mixed in with the vinegar and Dawn or just the two?

Mechanic's wife here, too. I also have had better results with the original blue Dawn and white vinegar mixture than with anything else. It is slick and it does make your nose hairs curl, but it works pretty well. It is fabulous on the glass shower door if you let it soak a few hrs. Mix equal parts white vinegar & Dawn, spray on, and let soak (overnight works best for me).

Thank you sooo very much for this information. It worked wonderfully. I've tried for years to get these grease stains out of my showers. Thank you again!!

Which one worked wonderfully?