Buying Condiments

At a restaurant supply store, I purchased a gallon of prepared yellow mustard for nearly $3.00. I bought it only for fill-ups for my regular sized squeeze mustard bottle, for everyday use. By doing this, it saved me lots of money, rather than going and purchasing more of the regular sized squeeze mustards at the grocery. The gallon lasted a long time, too!

By Terri from NV

I purchase catsup in the huge cans. I put it in separate containers in the refrigerator. Lasts about forever. And it is a real savings too! If we were lovers of mustard, that would be the way I'd go too.

These big containers of condiments can be purchased at the supercenter grocery and the grocery warehouses as well...Sams, Costco, etc. My biggest savings in this area is buying the gallon jars of mayo. Of course with some of the bulk purchases you'd have to have the extra refrigerator space to hold the large containers if they need it. This I do have. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the savings since my refrigerator would not hold the large jars. I also buy the #10 cans of cheese sauce. It can be frozen in small ziploc bags and thawed as needed, no change in consistency. Its great not only for nachos, but added to other "cheesy" dishes. The can is usually $3-$4...very cheap cheese!

And both mustard and ketchup do not have to go in the fridge! I used to do the same when all the kids were home...buy the large containers, refill the small ones and store the large ones in the basement pantry until needed.

Its been my experience that ketchup does go sour if not refrigerated. I've never refrigerated mustard but the ketchup, yes. If you ever taste rancid ketchup on your burger or fries, you'll know it.

Thought someone would reply to the putting ketchup in the pantry instead of the fridge. On the containers of ketchup there never used to be an inscription referring to... refridgerate once opened. There may be now, I do not know. My basement pantry is windowless and slightly cooler than the kitchen. I have never had a problem with ketchup going bad and neither have others I know that store their ketchup outside their fridge.

I do not know where the ketchup that you, marinewife, had that was rancid. Was it kept in a warm/hot area for a long period of time?