PastasRecipes

Creamy Tomato Macaroni

A friend of mine feeds this to her kids who say it is one of their favourite meals. She'll make it when she doesn't have much time or doesn't feel like cooking. Costs less than $2 and can feed up to 6 people. Also easy to prepare, no fuss. :)

Ingredients

• 1 bag of macaroni noodles
  • 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup of margarine (more if you want to use more noodles)
  • Salt and Pepper

Directions

Cook macaroni until well done but not mushy. Drain but don't rinse, then add margarine, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. The margarine, starch and juices from the tomatoes make like a gravy type sauce that coats the macaroni.

Source: Recipe given to me by a friend.

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Sounds like one of my mom's 'comfort foods' she made when we were growing up. Only difference is she added a bit of milk and made the sauce a little creamier.

It sound good, I'm going to try it with my kids and myself and I'll probably add a little Parmesan cheese to it. Yummy! :)

My mom made that with garlic and onion (minus the butter) and called it goulash. I still make it as it's one of my favorite comfort foods, it's great with garlic bread.

Hi Lisa,
I think our parents growing up during the depression found all kinds of ways of sprucing up macaroni since it was so cheap. My mom raised us on Mac and Tomatoes with bacon and butter.

Sometimes she would 'fry' the macaroni after she cooked the bacon in the bacon fat before boiling it to give some extra flavor. I raised my kids on it and it has become a staple in our recipe box and in our cupboards.