Parenting

Cutting Down Straws for the Little Ones

When eating out with children and grandchildren, Papa always makes sure he has his small Swiss Army knife in his pocket. Little ones have a difficult time managing a straw in their drinks. Papa comes to the rescue with the little scissors on his knife. One snip and the problem is solved. Now the children just automatically pass their drinks over to him so he can cut the straw down to a more manageable length.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

That is so cute! I love it :)

When my husband saw our grandchildren were having difficulty getting those long straws to their mouths when we ate out, he pulled out his small pocket knife (which has scissors) and snipped the straw down to a length which they could manage without spilling the drink or having to deal with an awkward positioning of the glass.

Now when we go out to eat with our grandchildren, as soon as they get their beverages, they pass them to Papa. He has been doing this for years and it is so cute to see the younger ones pick up this practice from the older ones.

By Sandy Bass from Elon, NC

My husband does this for our 4 year old boy. It really makes such a difference in their ability to manage their drink on their own.

Love the way you describe "grandpa" doing it for all the grandchildren. Would love to see the scene.

I have done this for about the last 16 years, I am a nurse and always have a pair of "clean" bandage scissors in my purse. Started cutting the straws with my first granddaughter, Jefrie, (I know, a girl named Jefrie!) She stayed clean and could get the straw to her lips without having to stand up on the seat and no spills! Now she is 16 and just got her driver's license! Great minds think alike. My other 5 grand children liked it also.

I have been a waitress for many years and always do this for the little ones when I serve a table where there are kids. They think it's neat that I have straws their size.

I started doing this for my kids when they were toddlers 25 years ago, now I do it for my grandkids also. I always kept a small pair of clean scissors in the vehicle & a set of nail clippers in my purse-just for the purpose of straw cutting.

Who would have know it was such a wonderful tip - I saw on 'The View' a few months ago where a woman won a brand new vehicle for submitting her 'mom tip' of cutting straws for her 3 young children! I sure could've used a new vehicle myself, LOL!