Consumer Advice

Storing Batteries in the Refrigerator

Many years ago we were storing batteries in the refrigerator. Does anyone know if refrigerating batteries really extends the life of a battery?

Koka from USA

Hi, Koka, they say with the batteries the way they were made about 20 years ago that they lasted longer stored in the refrigerator; but the new ones are much better now, so you don't have to refrigerate them any more.

By Syd (Guest Post)

I called one of the battery companies and asked how long their battery # printed on the battery, would last. I was told 7 to 10 years.

It's not necessary to store batteries in the 'fridge.

I always wondered about the Dollar Store batteries, since there is no date on the packages! If in doubt, call the manufacturer.

Just yesterday as I was going to the nearest office to get some soda, I notice they had batteries in the refrigerator. I ask, "Why are there batteries in the refrigerator?"

They told me that batteries at the right temperature will last longer by a whole month because the alkaline acids found in the batteries are cooled down by more charges. Make sure you keep them in small Ziploc bags.

Source: Co-Workers at the Contemporary Art Museum of Houston

By ERM747 from Houston, TX