Sewing MachinesMachines

Fabric Stuck Under the Needle Plate on Sewing Machine

I am a beginner to sewing. Please try to bear with me with my sewing words. I have on my sewing machine under the needle the plastic thing where the needle goes through. My fabric is stuck underneath the medal needle plate. Should I take it apart? or take it to the store? What should I do?

Please help.

By Katalina from Seattle, WA

Take it apart. That plate should come off. Check your manual.

Cut your needle thread first. Sometimes the bobbin thread binds up under plate. Then use some tweezers to pull fabric out. May be easier to also take needle out, so as to give yourself more room to work. Good luck.

You will enjoy sewing if you learn a few simple things. Take some lessons at your local fabric store on the maintenance of the machine.

The part you are describing is called the throat plate. It sounds like the fabric was pulled into the bobbin assembly which is directly underneath Cut the thread, pull it carefully out.

You may need to open the slide plate over the bobbin case and snip the bobbin thread. Everything should come right out. A few classes would definitely help you to get more comfortable with your machine.