AdviceClothing

Coloring a Leather Handbag

I want to slightly darken a tan leather handbag. What product would you suggest to go from light saddle to a slightly darker shade? The bag is a designer, so I don't want to ruin it. Thanks

Jayne

Tandy leather has many leather dyes, etc.

I want to polish my black leather handbag, but I fear shoe polish will rub off. Do you have a suggestion for what to use to clean and color the leather?

Candy from East Troy, WI

Answers:

Coloring a Leather Handbag

I don't know about coloring the actual leather, what you need is a bottle of Kiwi Leather Lotion or leather balm. It softens, nourishes, and makes the leather very supple. Walmart might sell it, and if they do it will be in their shoe department. You'll find it in a separate display where they carry shoe laces, and polish. Or if Walmart doesn't sell it, you can buy it at a shoe store or shoe repair shop. By the time you use this lotion on your purse, it won't need to be dyed. It will look that good.

(11/21/2007)

By MCW

Coloring a Leather Handbag

I've never dyed leather, but to condition it I always use baby oil. (11/22/2007)

By Kim

Coloring a Leather Handbag

My mother used to do this when she got bored with a purse color. She would go to a shoe repair store and buy shoe dye for leather. It came in quite a few colors and she finish dying a purse in no time (of course you will need to cover any hardware) and they still sell this stuff in shoe repair places. Good luck. (11/27/2007)

By Lois

Coloring a Leather Handbag

I don't know about coloring, but when I worked at a leather mill we used Pledge furniture polish on the finished products and what a difference it made. (11/28/2007)

By lefftylucy