Main DishesRecipes

Fried Cabbage and Noodles

This is Cabbage 'n Noodles, the Slovak Way. My Mother-in-law used to make this for my husband when he was a child. Now I make it for my family. It's very filling and frugal.

• 1 head cabbage
  • 1 pkg. noodles, shells or wide noodles
  • butter, oil, olive oil, or margarine
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

Rinse and clean a whole head of cabbage. Try to remove as much as the core as possible. Place whole cabbage head in the microwave with a little bit of water, and loosely cover with a paper plate. Cook on High for about 10 minutes. Let the cabbage drain and cool, and slice up the whole cabbage.

Place butter or oil, in a large frying pan, put all the cabbage in your pan, and saute until golden brown.

While you are browning up the cabbage, cook noodles as directed.

When your cabbage is golden browned and the noodles cooked, mix them in a bowl. Salt and Pepper to taste. Serve Warm.

7. You can add ham or bacon if desired. You can also just saute the cabbage raw, it takes longer to brown, and the microwave is just a bit faster.

Servings: 8
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
40 Minutes Cooking Time

By Jenny from Dallas, TX