Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I am using my homemade laundry soap and I have little pieces of soap that will not dissolve in the laundry water. Do I need to use hot water or is there a better solution?

By Cindy from St. Louis, MO

Best Answer

You do need to use hot water, but you don't need a whole washing machine full. Turn on your washer making sure the water is set to "hot". Add your soap and let it fill up a few inches, then shut the washer off. Stir the water with a broom handle or old wooden spoon and let it sit for 10 minutes. Your soap should be dissolved by now. Turn the washer's water temp to what you usually use and proceed as usual.

If this isn't practical you can fill a large container with hot water and dissolve the soap in that, then add that to your washload. The soap won't dissolve if you didn't grate the pieces finely enough. Hope that helps.

Best Answer

This is why I make the liquid. By the way, you don't have to put the liquid in a 5 gallon bucket. After melting the soap in some water, adding the borax and washing soda, pour it into a smaller container with a lid. Do not stir. It forms a semi-hard /semi-soft mass. Just scoop out a small amount and add to the wash. A Tbsp is plenty.

I use the dry homemade soap recipe. When making the soap in the first place I put the soap chips in my (extra old) food processor and make it just as fine as possible. Then when I'm going to do a load of laundry I put about 3 C water in my (old extra) blender and blend it for a couple minutes till it looks very smooth, then I use the soap. By doing that I have no pieces in the laundry anymore. My processor and blender are from garage sales and were real cheap.

I have used my homemade laundry powder for a # of years now. I use a very well cleaned out peanut butter jar (smaller one), add hot water ane measured amount of soap, put the lid on and shake it until the soap has dissolved. I then add it to the washer filled to tle low water level, agitate it for a moment, then continue filling machine with laundry and cold water. It has seldom failed to dissolve for me doing this.