Getting Rid of Ants in Potted Plants?

I have a large pot outside with several kinds of plants in it, I just discovered it is full of small black ants. When I moved the pot, the ant "holes" were all under where the pot has been sitting for quiet awhile. Does anyone know how to get rid of these little devils without killing my plants or having to dump the entire pot? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

By Harden from NC

Sprinkle in a little cinnamon.

I wouldn't use cinnamon on the soil. I tried that and it killed my plant.

I have had good luck with cinnamon. Just sprinkle it on top of the soil and they should leave.

first I lifted up my plant and was grossed out. I've been spraying with HOT SHOT ant spray, so I soaked the ground with ivory and water then dawn with water and finally cinnamon.

The cinnamon seemed to do it.

I researched and then made my own insecticidal soap with Dr Bronner's peppermint soap bar. For a 2 gallon potted plant, I cut the bar in half and soaked it outside in a gallon pail of clean water overnite then placed it in the sun for rest of next day. Then I just poured it into my potted plant. Next day I watered it again. Poof they're gone. Plant is happy. Hope it's safe for bees or butterflies getting nectar from the plant though...

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlApril 25, 2011
🎄
🍂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf21078452.tip.html