CraftsPhotos

Laminating a Photo

Category Crafts

Does anyone know what I can use to coat a photo to laminate it onto something without destroying the photo?

Susan from New Jersey

Okay your best bet is to take it to a nearby store, like walmart and use their photo scanner to make a copy. it's about .50 not too spendy. then you get clear contac paper, cut the border about an inch bigger than the photo, and stick on, removes easy. the contac paper comes in rolls and is sold in craft store and hardware store, people use it to line drawers, and shelves. it's 2 or 3 dollars. hope this helps.

Hi. I worked at Office Depot and Kinko's for many years and if I was approached by a customer with that question, I would highly recommend making a color copy and not take any chance of damaging your original. Color copies have come a long way and depending on the paper you print it on the average person would not be able to tell the difference. When it comes to laminating, I've experimented with the peel and stick lamination and also clear contact paper. But any place you make a color copy from for the most part will have a heat/seal laminator which is wonderful and once again, don't take a chance with your original.

Back when I was still working, a color copy was $1 and the lamination depending on size wasn't much more so all in all it might cost you a little under $4 - $5 depending where you go, and the most important thing is that your original will be safe.

Also, I've dealt with customers who didn't trust my better judgment and laminated their originals only to have bubbles appear that couldn't be smoothed out. A lot of that also has to do with how old the picture is, is it something you just picked up from being developed.

I'm really super fussy about my own photographs and I really do care about other peoples' photos too. I hope some of this helps.