BathroomHome Improvement

Fixing Grout Cracked When Removing Caulk

I need to replace old caulk (due to mildew and cracks) around my metal tub with tiled shower. When I started removing the old caulk up the tiled corners, I got a little more than I think I should have! It looks like the grout was 'cracked' as well. What do I need to do? Do I just fill the space with more caulk? Will the tiles still hold? Help!

lizinTX from Austin,TX

Cracked Grout

By Teddi J. (Guest Post)

My suggestion is to call the Grout Dr. He will scrape the old/loose stuff out, and he'll regrout. He does a great job. It's what we had to do as well.

Go to your local Hardware store and get a tube of silicone grout and a grout gun, ask the rep. to show you how to use it. Run a line of grout down the corner and then run your wet finger along the line, wipe off any that gets on the tile. This is something that is not hard to do and materials are not expensive. The glue behind the tile holds the tile on the wall not the grout. So the tile should be OK.

By bonnie (Guest Post)

Just buy some more grout and apply. Then put the caulk back on it looks like a small job. Easy fix.

Where the plane changes on a grouted surface you should use caulk. That means corners whether they be inside or outside corners, vertical or horizontal. Caulk and grout are not the same things.

By (Guest Post)

You don't need grout under caulk. just make sure you do a good job sealing the corner off with the caulk and you'll be fine!