Rust Spots on a Refrigerator

Can rust on a refrigerator door just below the icemaker/water dispenser be repaired? The refrigerator is white.

By Buz from Washington, DC

I've recently saw "appliance" paint and it comes in fairly small containers, so you don't have to buy a gallon of it. Rust is oxidation, so to try and remove it will probably leave a "mark". Once you remove the rusty spot, which you "might" have to do if it's rough, or the area won't be smooth, you might benefit by painting the spot with the appliance repair paint.

If it's smooth already, you might even be able to paint right over the rust spot. I've never used this appliance paint, so I'm sorry I can't say if it works well or not.

I have a 15 year old Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator which I moved to the garage a couple of years ago when we got a new fridge for the kitchen. We live in Florida during the winter months and up north during the summer months.

When we go north, we empty and unplug the fridges. The one in the garage has come out with what looks like a rust stain covering most of the freezer door, and there is now some forming on the fridge door, but not as much.

I have tried cleaning the stain with an auto cleaner, some bleach and water, and some vinegar and water. The auto cleaner does the best job, but I can't quite get all the stain out, even with a lot of elbow grease.

A couple of days later the stain is back as bad as ever. The finish is the pebbly kind where you don't leave fingerprints.

The garage has no AC and it gets pretty hot in there in the summer, although there were no stains on the doors when we returned this fall (2013), at least not that we noticed. The stains have developed since we returned. Does this sound like rust? Any suggestions for a product to clean it and protect it? Thanks.

By HB from Mount Dora, FL

Answers

Barkeepers Friend is a brand I use on rust, on any surface, even fabric. Should work well made into a paste, allow to sit a bit, then elbow grease. Barkeepers Friend is near comet, etc.

how to get rust off a freezer door

How do I clean rust off the outside of the fridge door?

By Cindy

Answers

I would try one of the erasing sponges...should work. Then apply a bit of 'white out' or an auto paint pen paint! Good luck

I have a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator 15 years old. A couple of years ago I moved the fridge to the garage when we got a new one for the kitchen.

In the last month I noticed that there was an orange stain forming on the doors, primarily on the freezer side. I have tried cleaning the doors with an auto cleaner, bleach and water, and vinegar and water. The auto cleaner seems to work best, but even that didn't get all the stain out, and after a couple of days the stain was back as bad as ever. The finish is the pebbly kind designed to hide finger prints.

The home is in Florida where we spend the winter months. When we head north in the spring, we clean out the fridges and pull the plugs on them. The garage is not air conditioned, so it is probably pretty hot out there in the summer time when we are not here.

We didn't notice the stains when we first got here this fall (2013), but we first noticed them after we had been back here a month or two and the fridges were back running again. Could these be rust stains? Any suggestions on how to rid the fridge doors of the stains?

Thanks, HB

I have a rust spot on the outside panel of my refrigerator. It is white. Is there anything I can use to remove it?

By ANGIE from El Paso

Answers:

Rust Spots on a Refrigerator

You can touch up the rust spot by using an appliance paint which comes in a small bottle. Call a hardware store to see if they sell it. Make sure that you don't ingest the fumes. (09/05/2010)

By Marjorie

How do I remove a "rusty" looking stain/mark on the exterior of my refrigerator? It is over an area of approximately 6 inches by 2 inches and is made up of little spots and splotches. I have tried various over the counter cleaners, some help, but the stain comes back. Any suggestions?

By Lynda Rice from Newcastle NSW Australia

Answers:

Rust Spots on a Refrigerator

Here are some helpful websites that may answer your question:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=removing+rust+spots+from+a+refrigeratorandei=UTF-8andfr=hp-pvnb

(04/06/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Rust Spots on a Refrigerator

If it looks like rust, it probably is, in which case, you can't remove it with cleaners. If it is a painted surface, you should be able to remove the rust and then paint over it with paint intended for this job. If it is a vinyl surface, I have no idea what to do, except put a picture over it that your kids have drawn. (04/07/2009)

By Louise B.

Rust Spots on a Refrigerator

I had same problem. I used "Barkeepers Friend" to remove spots brown in colour. Not sure what they were, but they kept coming back. Finally when I removed them with the cleaner, I followed up by using a polishing product called Countertop Magic. It has been 2 months since I tried this and no more spots. Hope this helps. Cleaner was bought in USA, polisher in Canada. (04/08/2009)

By patricia a dufresne

My white refrigerator is rusting. It is coated with a textured plastic, something to make it not show finger prints and it is rusting through this coating. I tried to spray paint it with the new Rustoleoum product and now that is flaking off. The holidays are approaching and I do not have it in my budget to replace this until after. Is there anything that I can do to make it temporarily presentable, as I will be doing a lot of entertaining over the season?

Cyndi

Answers:

Rust Spots on a Refrigerator

Magnet sheets come in a size like a sheet of paper. Find them at a hobby store, or maybe a hardware store, where they are sold to cover unused furnace vents. Either use it plain (they're usually white) or decorate it with markers, paint, etc., or use smaller magnets to hold pictures or other paper items on it. The large sheet will disguise the bad spots better than smaller items with individual magnets would. (11/06/2008)

By Shirley Darby

Rust Spots on a Refrigerator

Stick a sheet of Fablon on it. Covers a multitude of sins! (11/07/2008)

By Marg

Rust Spots on a Refrigerator

I have same type of coating on my refrigerator, designed to not let fingerprints, etc. show. Thought mine was rust. One day I spent lots of time cleaning it. Now I think was dirty water drying on and pooling up in the the crinkly spaces, so now I wash with diluted bleach water/soap, and rinse with clear water and dry immediately. Just went to look at it and it's not bad. Good luck. Hope it works. (11/09/2008)

By Annette

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.