Thrifty Denim for Aprons

I needed some denim to make a couple of sturdy aprons, but it can cost over $10 a yard for the good stuff! (Even with store coupons, it is expensive). So I went to the thrift store and bought two long denim dresses for only $5 each and I have plenty of fabric for 4 aprons. Plus if I lay it out right, I already have the bottom hemmed and I can reuse the pockets and buttons!

By Christine from Spanaway, WA

Did you make the full apron or a half apron?

I've done the very same thing. I needed denim but didn't want to pay the high price for the fabric so I purchased a woman's skirt at a Salvation Army Thrift Store. I made two denim bags one to hold my hair dryer and another one to hold my curling iron, and curling brush.

Could you post a picture of your apron, please?

Shirley golden7673 AT yahoo.com

Hi,

In the craft section there is a tutorial on making denim aprons from men's overalls. They turn out FANTASTIC and since you can purchase them at a thrift store, VERY economical. I will send you photos, if you need them.