Training a Dog To Use a Dog Door

Help. Why is my dog peeing in the house and how do I make him stop? I have a doggy door, and he is walked once or twice a day. It rained 7 days ago, but he still won't go to the bathroom outside in our backyard. Maybe he doesn't want to get his paws cold, but it's too bad. What do I do? Thanks.

By Sammy from San Jose, ca

I'm not sure I can help with the dog door part, but regulating his water intake should help somewhat. One tv trainer suggested ice cubes instead of filling a bowl. In addition to make it clear that peeing in the house is bad, you should definitely let/take him out every 2-3 hours until he learns not to pee in the house.

Depends on the age of the dog too, if he's older he might have a medical problem.

Remember that storm we had last week was a DOOZY, it freaked my cats out a day before it happened. I would also give him incentive to go through the door, say a treat on the other side of the door?

I have a huge German shepherd/rottie/dobbie cross who hates getting her feet wet or cold; dances around on three legs, won't go to the bathroom, runs back into the house and "goes" on the floor! I got her some doggie boots. She looks absolutely ridiculous, but it solved the problem!