Caring for a Praying Mantis?

Where do I keep a praying mantis sac? I keep it on a towel in a bug tent. Is that okay? How do I raise them? I have two egg sacs. How many praying mantis will I have?

By Marika from Las Vegas, NV

I love the praying Mantis. It is my favorite creature among all "bugs". Here is a link about keeping one happy as a pet. www.ehow.com/how_2305655_keep-praying-mantis.html

Have fun. I love watching them eat! They eat with such gusto! Robyn

Robyn's link looks like it will have all you need. One other source you might ask is your county agent. They often have loads of info if you just call and ask.

You'll have virtually thousands of mantis. They will try and make their way out doors. So if they escape, you'll see them in formation marching toward their natural setting

Mantis are so good for our environment. Consider allowing them to hatch out of doors where they will maintain your garden nicely and live to reproduce!

What wonderful creatures, this is why no one should use any kind of chemicals in their yards or flower beds. Sprays are so harmful to our enviroment, earthworms, and everything else. Also, these chemicals eventually seep into the water table and also end up in the oceans.

I thought they were endangered.

You can often buy their egg sacs through gardening sites. You keep them in the fridge until your garden is planted and then place them on a tomato or another plant in the garden. When they hatch (a sac contains lots of them) they will eat all the insects that plague a gardener, like aphids.

They must eat to live, so you won't be able to contain them for long. BE CAREFUL--praying mantis bite and can really hurt you. The have been known to attack and even kill mice. While you rarely see that side of them, bites are very painful.

Pets InsectsMay 14, 2009
🐰
🍀
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf24284324.tip.html