AdviceClothing

Shoe Color Advice

I'm wearing red and black sweater with black shirt, should I wear red or black shoes. And if I wear red shoes should I wear black or sheer hose? This is a christmas party I'm attending.

Tami from Texas

you should wear the red shoes with black hose. it is always fun to look/be bold!! have fun at your party!

I've always heard for a put together, slimming look to go by the rule of 3 if possible: meaning the skirt, the hose, the shoes should be the same colour. So I say black hose and black shoes and accesorize with red jewellry and maybe those shoe clips with a bit of red on them.

Tami, Everyone is not the " Bold" type. LOL I would
go with Sheer hose and black heels. It's a good

dress look for an office party. Have fun!!

I would go with black hose and black shoes. But - it is your party!!! If you want to wear the red shoes, wear tan or nude hose. Have a great time!

If this is an office party, it is NOT a party, but a business function.

That means:

Tasteful adult dress. Black shoes/black hose, and I like the red clips idea. Red shoes with sheer hose, since red is in this year.

Do not drink very much alcohol. Pretend you are at work. Everyone gets a good look at you to see if you're promotion material.

Be gracious, kind and fun, but not loud. If you have a good idea for the company, here's the chance to tell the head of the company, but no one will think you're going over their heads. No arguments over anything.

Great time to polish your social skills.

I think the red shoes and black hose would look good. Don't know any rules about it, it just sounds like it would look good.

Hi......

I would go with sheer hose and red shoes....enjoy your time

wear the black shoes!

If you want a classy look, you can't go wrong with the black shoes and black hose. It would be fun to look for some kind of cute dressy/holiday shoe clip to dress up the shoes a bit if you are leaning towards that. Even clip on earrings can be used for shoe clips! You could also put a clip on a simple, small black handbag to pull the look together even more. ~ Jill

Either shoe color is fine, but I think black stockings with red shoes looks cheap (ditto black stockings and any shoe color other than black.) My preference would be to go with black shoes and stockings.

Black shoes if it's a business occasion, red shoes if you want to celebrate a little and want a conversation starter. Then enjoy the party.

If it is a business function I would go with the black shoes

Several years ago I attended a business dress for success meeting and the presenters stated you should NEVER wear anything but dark shoes (not even spectator pumps which were popular then)

Also, depends on your line of work (law firm may require a more conservative look than an Art Studio...) Whatever you do, wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident-that is the key to your success!

have fun

Girl - you wear what you feel comfortable in. Your personality should dictate what you wear. It's the festive season, so go out and party and enjoy!
Carolyn.

The rule is if you wear black shoes , you wear black hose. If you decide to wear the red, then red or sheer hose...Have a great time!!!!

Either pair of shoes would be acceptable in the business environment today. However - the rule ALWAYS to follow: NEVER EVER wear hose/tights/stockings darker than your shoes. So - if you go with the red shoes, find skin toned hose.

You left out the most important item you are going to be wearing: what color is the hemline (be it shorts, skirt, pants, etc.)?

NEVER wear shoes a lighter hue than (the bottom of) your hemline unless you are going to the store or something. I found this out in a personal image class. If you have a multicolored skirt, go with the darkest color or brown or navy or black--whichever would go with it that you own. The same with the hose. Just don't have any breaks in it: black shoes, suntan knee highs and black skirt is a no. Probably best would be to wear black tights. Pantyhose in unnatural colors is out. Matching shoes, tights, and hemline is fine or the nude leg look with minimal shoes. If you are wearing matching red on the bottom and happen to have found matching red shoes (lucky you to find a match!) then go with nude. Keep the total number of colors in your outfit down to 2 at most. These are the rules of business dress at it's most stripped down that I learned.

Hope this helps!

Kelly W. from Kalamazoo