StorageFood and Recipes

Keeping Coffee Mate from Getting Hard

We use Coffee Mate in our church kitchen, but it gets hard as a rock when the air conditioner is turned off. We use popcorn kernels to keep the salt free flowing. What can we use for the creamer? I have already contacted Coffee-Mate they had no suggestions other then to keep it out of humid areas.

By Elaine from Devine, TX

Buy smaller quantities. Obviously it doesn't go fast enough to justify a large jar. The difference in cost would be small since it probably has to be thrown away anyway after a while. Sometimes thrifty is not thrifty.

Another option would be to put it in smaller moisture-proof containers. Or the refrigerator. My refrigerator keeps things dry as well as cold.

At the fire station we store it in the fridge.

Have you tried putting a saltless saltine cracker in it? when my mom had restaurant we put crackers in our salt and powdered creamer to keep them fresh.

You might consider buying the individual serving size liquid creamers in bulk at a warehouse store like Sam's Club. Maybe more expensive, but no refrigeration needed, no waste, and a lot more tasty than powdered creamer.

We live just south of Fort Worth and it gets humid here. I buy the large bottle of Coffee-Mate at Sam's and keep it in one of those large canning jars with the rubber seal.

I have never had it get hard. I have some now that been here for months and just as fresh as when I bought it. Hope this helps.