House Training a Blind Dog

How can I train my little toy Poodle who was born with out eyes to go to the bathroom outside or even on a newspaper? I just got the dog a week ago, she is a year and a half old and it was always picked up and put outside to go. However, she's peeing on my carpet and pooping too. She will sometimes use a pee pad, but not always. What do I do? Thank you.

By Jackie from Winnipeg, MB

Oh my! I'm so sorry your dog is blind, but I'm guessing you can help her cope! Try walking her to the pee/poop pads without picking her up. I'm guessing she is just not sure where they are and needs to learn the "lay of the land" in your home.

Maybe you could help her by adding a potted plant of a highly scented herbal plant in the same corner you place her pee/poop pads. (Make sure the plant is not toxic to dogs.) Or put the pee/poop pads on a different surface (a carpet square on on a tile floor, a wood surface on a carpeted area) or combine both ideas to make sure she knows where she should take care of business.

As is true with humans, animals have the same ability to adapt when one sense (sight, hearing, smelling, touching, tasting) is missing, and the other senses are usually enhanced.

I'm grasping at straws, here, but maybe this could help. I so admire folks that take in less than perfect pets with the best intentions and a healthy curiosity to do the best they can. Wishing you much luck.

I can give you information about why your dog was born without eyes. Fungicide exposure to pregnant mother. I have blind dogs and then got a fawn without eyeballs. Raised her just fine. Had to raise her legally by not fencing her in. She had to be allowed to walk away any time she chose. Found out several years later, after much research from a clip from I think 60 minutes. Human Children were born without eyeballs because of Moms exposure to fungicide while pregnant. Fish and wildlife was blaming it on saint John's wort. After the 60 minutes thing, found out from a rehabber she knew of 8 or 9 deer without eyeballs. They use fungicide in grass seed for pasture. Birds are hatched without eyeballs. Lots of wildlife suffer but I am wondering how many products commonly used have fungicide in seed and other products for the home. Reported my findings but government agencies couldn't be bothered.

Hello, So sorry about your precious baby. There is a website that can help you. It is Blinddog.com

I hope they can help you. Also, you can ask your Veterinarian for any suggestions and he can refer you.

She's marking new territory. Yes, females do it too. She'll learn the layout of the house much faster than people do, as long as you don't move anything. You'll have to take her out numerous times with lots of loving when she soils out there. Perhaps a food treat as well. This can be a tough one to stop.