SearchingInternet Tips

Where Can I Get Emoticons?

How can I get emoticons to add to my Facebook posts?

By Carlos Arana from Herriman, UT

There are tons of them all over the web! Just Google "smilies", and you'll find more than you know what to do with.

One site that lets you link to their smilies for free is:
planetsmilies.net/

An especially cute version of the smiley is called a "kao ani". These originated in Japan--"kao" means face and "ani" is short for animation. Here's one sample site:
www.anikaos.com/

If you want a whole bunch of them, just send me a private message, and I'll put them into a zipped file for you. I even have a couple of smiling kao ani pumpkins, which are adorable for Halloween. :)

Anonymous

Be careful how you get your emoticons! It's best to set up a folder in your documents/pictures just for those, and when you see an emoticon you like, simply right click and the drop down box will have a 'save as' option. Click on that option and then place it into that emoticon folder you set up.

A lot of those 'free' sites try to get you to download their 'package' and you end up also getting spyware/freeware/shareware downloaded to your computer because of doing that. If you have more questions, please feel free to contact me. :-)

Anonymous

I forgot to mention that if you click on my contact button and let me know you're interested I would be happy to send you a bunch from my collection via email if you let me know your email address. :-)

I've seen a few commentaries posted that had a butterfly or an old lady, etc. on them. How do you get those? I think they are called icons or emoticons?

By guest from IL

Answers:

Where Can I Get Emoticons?

Hi, be careful when downloading emoticons, etc. I downloaded an arrow for my cursor and my computer was getting slower and slower until it was so bad I had to get professional help. The guy told me that some extras like emoticons and extra search engines (I only use Google now) carry spy-ware which slow your computer down. Since removing these I have had no more problems. Good luck. (09/01/2006)

By Chris

Where Can I Get Emoticons?

One should also beware of copyrighted material. Many icons and emoticons are copyrighted and using them in your posts, emails, or web page can get you into some legal trouble.

Do not trust the random sites that offer them for free, unless you are sure that is the actual site which "owns" the image. You can get many of them on the Google image search though. I do not have any direct links, but if you try Google, type in icon or emoticon and then check for "small" images. While you'll need to wade through many that are not what you are looking for, you'll find a few gems as well as sites which offer many more then shown in your search. (09/02/2006)

By Qryztufre

Where Can I Get Emoticons?

I get mine from a program called Incredimail. I use it instead of Outlook Express. They have tons of icons and emoticons. All are free, if you choose the free version. (09/03/2006)

By Ragteller