Yarn And Thread Scraps For Birds

To those who put their scraps of yarn and threads in a tissue box to be thrown away, please just set it outside for birds to build their nest with. They will love it. Who knows what kind of a colorful nest they will build.

By George from Roanoke, VA

Don't forget our little fine feathered friends at this time of the year (birdies). When ever I finish sewing, I take the rest of the thread that was in the needle and place it on my fence. I also do that with any tiny piece of yarn. When a wooden clothespin breaks, I also place that on my fence. The birds use all these little odds and ends to build their nest.

Happy housing to the birds.

By Joesgirl

RE: Building Materials for Birds

Just a note: Please make sure that the threads are not too long and it can and does get tangled up in the birds feet. Then they get caught on branches, fences, etc. and die of starvation if no one finds them. Dog hair is also good for bird nest, sometime they do not even wait for it to be off the dog. :)

By Diamondee

I agree with the post from Diamondee about making sure that all threads and yarns are cut into short pieces. While at the Pastor's house one spring day, I found a bird all tangled in fishing line that was used to hang some outdoor item that was long gone. The bird was struggling while its mate sat near by. Fortunately, I carry a small pair of folding scissors in my purse that I was able to use to cut the line and free the bird.

I also put out dryer lint for the birds when the days are sunny-if you put it out on rainy days it turns into a big clump.

I hate to rain on your parade but mice also love those bits of yarn and thread for building nests. I don't mind helping the birds but I sure don't want to help the mice!

Anonymous

BE CAREFUL! Non-organic yarns can be bad for the birds! Remember, these yarns have dyes and chemicals in them and can be harmful to the baby birds. How? If they are consume it can be very dangerous, or they can cause infections in the delicate skin of the babies. OR can rub the skin and if it rubs enough it will bleed and sometimes get infected! I am eleven years old and would never do this! Sorry if this is offensive but true (i believe)... Please correct me if I am wrong! Mackenzie 11 yrs old from Millington TN

How about using stuffing from pillows? I assume dryer lint would be dangerous to birds?

When I clean my hairbrush I always throw the hair away in my garden. I've actually seen a robin take some to their nest. Jan UK