Window Won't Open?

0
Share
4
Save
Follow
Print

I have a window I can't raise because it is stuck. What can I do to get it up?

By sylvia johnson from SC

If it is painted wood, you could spray some WD40 down the channels on each side, let it slide down the sides of the window, and it may open, but I wouldn't do that on unpainted or unsealed wood, as it will stain.

When a window is painted, the paint makes a seal beteen the the window (sash) and the side jams which can prevent a window from opening. Break the bond by sliding a putty knive between the sash and the jams.

It could be that your house, therefore the window frame has been shifting with the foundation moving.
I'd wait until a good rain to try it, then again when very dry to see if it EVER is unstuck. If wooden and old, it could be swollen with mildew. If metal framed, I'd use penetrating or WD=40 all around the edges where stuck.

If wood, I'd use a rubber mallet and try tapping where stuck. Lift slowly because it might be that the whole opening the window sits in
is out of alignment and you don't want to take the chance on breaking the glass should the top part be more narrow than the bottom that began to open. God bless and help you. : )

Go to your local hardware store and buy slick spray. It's an all purpose silicone spray. It's every woman's handyman. I garantee it will unstick your window

Home and Garden Repair Home WindowsJune 4, 2009
🌻
🎆
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf28859696.tip.html