OtherRecycling

Recycling Ivory Piano Keys

I've decided to strip a piano and cash in on the scrap metal. What should I do with the ivory keys? Thank you.

By Debbie from Riverside, CA

There is an artist in Apple Valley, Ca. who paints small flowers on them and sells them. They're very pretty.

I have a couple of ideas for reusing old piano keys. 1) Try painting dots to make them look like dominos. 2) Drill a hole in one end, paint it, or decoupage pretty flowers or other favorite things, and then string a ribbon or a cord through the hole and wear it as a necklace. I've seen some really pretty necklaces made from old piano keys. Good luck and happy recycling.

Advertise on ebay. They are in demand for those restoring pianos. Do not destroy them!

How about finding a piano restoration specialist. He or she may need this old ivory. Also depending on how thick the ivory is. It might be good for carving guitar parts. You could try your hand at scrimshaw too.

I have also found that an rubber eraser cleans Ivory very well a child got hold of a Sharpie black marker & wrote on the piano keys on the churches keys, I had to scrub quite a few times to get it off, I don't have an image of the keys, I had about the same luck with a magic sponge as I did with the eraser. hope this helps someone, then I used furniture polish on a cloth to freshen up the keys