GardenGifts

Yard Rock Names

Make a quick house warming gift that will last for years.

Approximate Time: 3 hours

• slab of cement
  • cement sealer
  • oil based paint
  • Ad

• paper name template
  • small brush
  • newspaper
  • steel brush
  • stick glue

Instructions:

1. Spread newspaper out to cover your working surface.

2. With a steel brush clean the surface of your cement for all loose chunks then use a brush or water pressure to remove all dust.

3. Let it dry completely before covering with cement sealer.

4. Let the sealer dry and then trace on your letters, paint with oil base paint two coats letting them dry in between. I prefer to use spray paint so I make a template of my letters. Remember to keep the centers of letters such as A, O, P and tape them onto the cement before you paint. I wear rubber gloves and hold the edges of the centers down with my gloved finger while spraying as it is hard to get them to stay in place. Using stick glue will work if you are careful also. Make sure you spray straight at your rock or you will have spray bleed under your edges.

5. Some bleeding can and will be covered by outlining all of your letters with a complementary color of paint with a small brush after your main color is dry. This looks good anyway to me as it really sets the letters off.

I have several rocks I made 10 years ago and they still look like the day I made them. If you don't use the cement sealer your paint will not stay on the cement for long before it starts flaking, so be sure to use it.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

About The Author: Ann is half of a creative team in a craft oriented website. Here you will find pages of free projects and patterns in a wide variety of categories, with an entire section made especially for kids. There also is a gift shop where you can purchase unique handmade items such as collectible dolls, toys and home decor. They offer free sayings, tips, ideas and humor. Enter their contests for a chance to win great prizes. Visit them at: www.craftingtales.com

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

I love this idea. Painted rocks always look like someone cares about their yard so I would expect nothing less from you dear girl! PBP

We did this at our church several years ago and used them to make a memory garden of members of our church and any family member that had passed on. We painted on something to remind us, such as for my Daddy, I painted on a bowling ball/pins as he loved it, for my baby granddaughter I did a baby rattle and bottle, along with their names and sprayed them with acrylic spray. We lined then along both sides of the walk way. Now everytime I go back to visit, I see their Memory Rock and smile, they are so pretty!