Freeze Cheese in Wrapping

For years I have been freezing cheese, especially when I see the expensive ones on sale or marked down. I leave it in the original wrapper and place them in a freezer bag and into the freezer they go. There are some that have been there for several years. I simply take whatever cheese I happen to want to have the day before, let it thaw in the fridge, then use it either for eating or cooking.

By Elayne from Dalhousie, Nova Scotia

I also freeze cheese and have no problems. However three years is too long to freeze anything. Cheese as well as meat can get freezer burned, which means it really isn't fit to eat.

Anonymous

Really good advice, Elayne. Blocks of cheese in the freezer will last just about forever and if it does happen to get freezer burn the burn will only be on the outside edges of the cheese and you can simply slice those portions off.

It's also works to keep opened cheese in it's original packaging like you mention and then place in a plastic bag or wrapped in foil in the refrigerator. I've kept cheese up to two months or more (depending on the type of cheese) in the refrigerator, and it's still fresh and tasty.

I do this too. I had been told cheddar cheese may crumble, it does.

So, I use it for recipes like enchiladas and then I do not have to grate it. It just crumbles and it will melt in oven. Works great for me!

Thanks for the tip about freezing cheese. One tip I found recently is to put freshly grated cheese, like parmesan, in a glass jar. It lasts a lot longer than in the plastic container I had used in the past. I also love the new plastic lids for Mason jars.