Pineapple Sauce

A great dessert sauce. Serve with pudding or over frozen desserts. I think it would be good over pound/bundt cake too ;-)

• 1 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 cup diced pineapple
  • 12 marshmallows, diced
  • 2 lemons (juiced)

Directions:

Combine flour and sugar. Add pineapple juice, lemon juice, and grated lemon rind. Cook over hot water (double boiler), stirring constantly, until thick. Add pineapple and marshmallows. Mix thoroughly.

Source: 1935 Household Searchlight Recipe Book recipe by Wilma Onstott, Gering, NE

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

This sounds really good.As you know I'm a"Pineapple Junkie".
Thanks for another use for pineapple. ; )

Vi, my choice would be the pound cake. I just love good pound cake, and it can be made in a loaf pan or a bundt-cake pan, it's all going to taste so good. I'm very partial to pineapple since it was one of those fruits we didn't get very often when I was a child. It was always special to get a fresh one, but we did have the canned round slices for baked ham. I can't remember seeing tidbits or chunks, and I don't think we ever had crushed pineapple then either.

During the Second World's War, we often didn't have the canned goods that were later available, so I'm not even sure all the different versions of canned pineapple were being made then. There was nothing prettier than a big baked ham with brown sugar mixed with yellow ballpark mustard all over it, then the round slices of pineapple with a maraschino cherry in the center, and whole cloves stuck in the top all over. We didn't have that very often either, so it was one of those foods that were only on our table for very special occasions.

Anytime I use canned pineapple, I start thinking of all the pineapple upside- down cakes, the green jello with pineapple slices and cottage cheese and a cherry on top and those beautiful hams that my Mother would make. I sure do miss her.

My very first job was as a "soda-jerk" for Walgreen's Drug Store. I made all the sundaes, milk-shakes and banana splits for the counter and floor service. One of the things that went on banana splits was a pineapple topping. It was always put on the vanilla ice-cream scoop. Crushed strawberries went on the strawberry scoop and chocolate syrup went on the chocolate scoop of ice-cream. Whipped Cream almost covered everything, then a maraschino cherry on top. I could make them blindfolded, and they cost 45 cents in 1950. You could get one at the Woolworth's for 39 cents, but it wasn't nearly as large or as beautiful. LOL

Thanks for sharing your recipe for Pineapple Sauce. I'll make some as we like to have ice-cream parties sometimes on Family Game Nights here. Everyone has to make their own. We have a Vita-Mix for making the best milk shakes or Fruit Smoothies, and Mike is getting a very nice ice-cream scoop for his birthday in August. It'll be fun.

Thumbs Up!
Pookarina

Anonymous

This would be yummy to dip apples slices in too, GGVi, and the first thing that came to mind (as weird as it might sound) is to top with a dollop on plain thick slices of baked ham or plain baked yams. ;-)