BathroomCleaning

Tilex Stained My Porcelain Tub

Category Bathroom

Does anyone know how to remove stains from a bath tub? Last night, I sprayed Tilex on the shower wall to clean the show wall. I did not rinse them off the tiles. This morning, the entire bath tub has brown and yellow spots. I tried bleach, Tilex, soft scrub and none worked. Would someone help with this problem?

Arlene

By Jan (Guest Post)

I found this on the Tilex website... maybe this will help?

Is Tilex® Mold & Mildew Remover safe for all bathroom surfaces?

Tilex® Mold & Mildew Remover is safe for most bathroom surfaces including grout, glazed ceramic tile, tubs, fiberglass, glass shower doors, vinyl curtains, counters, sinks and no-wax floors. Tilex® Mold & Mildew Remover is safe for synthetic marble; however, we recommend against using it on natural marble.

You should rinse immediately after use on rubber, plastic and vinyl. Avoid prolonged contact with metal and old porcelain as Tilex® can react with these materials and leave a temporary "rust" stain. To remove this stain, soak paper towels in hydrogen peroxide, let stand on rust stain for 30 minutes and then wipe clean. (NOTE: Do not mix hydrogen peroxide and Tilex® Mold & Mildew Remover.) We don't recommend using Tilex® Mold & Mildew Remover on wood or painted surfaces unless you plan to refinish or to repaint them. Avoid contact with aluminum, clothes, fabric, carpet or paper surfaces.

Holy crap that worked wonders! Came off immediately I was freaking out the whole tub was brown!

Thanks for the info! And looks like my landlord has had this tub for a while then! time to request a new one. :/

tilex and about 99% of all bathroom cleaners contain chlorine and are damaging your tubs, tile grout and doing nothing but masking the mildew and mold on these surfaces. I recommend using an all natural enzyme based product, such as moldzyme to clean everything in the bath, regardless of the surface. Thie will remove any existing mildew and with contiued use will prevent its return. Not only ids it harmless to all surfaces it is harmless to people, pets and plants and you will be stopping the dioxins that are being offgassed by all of these chlorine based products.

By Gigi (Guest Post)

Use Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) any chain hardware store should have it.It's a powder you mix with hot water...workes very well....

That happened to us and we understand that our poor, old tub was losing its enamel surface. Time to call the resurfacing guys.

However, I'm as cheap as anyone, so I tried beach, which did the same thing--hahaha. By now, after reading the feedback below, I guess you know why. So if you live in the White House, or any where there's a tub that's older than your kids, forget Tilex and bleach. I go for the natural stuff now.

By Emily (Guest Post)

This happened to me just this morning and I tried the hyrdrogen peroxide. It worked like magic after only seconds. Phew!

Anonymous

Just tried Hydrogen Peroxide and it worked beautifully. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Anonymous

Did the same thing with the tiles thanks for the tip.

By Heather (Guest Post)

I stained my friends tub last night with Tilex - i was renting their cottage - yikes!! Thanks so much for posting all these, I'll email her asap and tell her how to fix my bonehead mistake.

By (Guest Post)

WoW! That was a great tip with the Hydrogen Peroxide. I thank you so much.

By leilani (Guest Post)

This doesn't have to do with tubs, but I did a science projecet on Tilex, and I almost fainted. That smell is strong. Be careful when using it. it took the stain out of the tile the best, but it might not be that safe.

By Rebecca (Guest Post)

Hydrogen Peroxide WORKS! It takes a little while but it gets all the stains out!

Great recommendation. Covered the whole bathtub with paper towels soaked in hydrogen peroxide, waited 20 minutes.

All Tiles stain disappeared in one treatment.

By (Guest Post)

Skip the chemicals and the drugstore cleaners the Magic Eraser works miracles on stains in the tub. My mat stains, from a previous owner are now gone thanks not to chemicals or cleaners (I tried them all) but thanks to the Magic Eraser.

By erika (Guest Post)

I have done this on numerous occasions with my older, badly in need of resurfacing old porcelin tub and I use a product called Lime A Way. It instantly removes the "rust" stains without scrubbing.

By karen (Guest Post)

The hydrogen peroxide works like a miracle, but if you're like me and just dump the whole bottle in the tub, you might need two bottles. The Mr Clean Magic Eraser also works really well.

By MC (Guest Post)

Magic Erasers do work great at getting out stains on porcelain tubs, but they also scratch the surface/take a layer off, so that the tub is even more exposed to stains. I used one on my tub and now I have a major stain (from the cat of all things!) and Magic Eraser will not get it out, nor will bleach, and I think it's because the Magic Eraser basically took away the protective layers on the tub.

They are great at getting out tough stains, but they do scratch!

The hydrogen peroxide really worked. I poured it over the stains and saturated a sponge, and the heavy yellow brown stains came out with about 5 minutes of scrubbing.

I just did the same by putting bleach on some rags in the tub. Made an awful yellow orange stain that wouldnt come off. No peroxide on hand, so wiped the areas with 20% cream hair color developer from Sally Beauty. Worked like a charm in a minute!

Wow! Thank you for the HP recommendation. Worked like a charm!

Just tried this suggestion after I used Tilex on my tub and tiles and ended up with rusty brown spots. Worked instantly. No scrubbing, just wiped the tub with HP on a paper towel. Thank you. My tub hasn't looked this good in years.