SoftwareComputers

Using Norton Anti Virus With Windows Vista

I recently installed Norton virus protection on my daughters laptop, she has Windows Vista and it has significantly slowed her computer. A co worker had recommended Norton over the free yahoo protection that I had. Any comments or experience will be appreciated. Thanks.

Edith from CT

The Norton has a firewall and the Yahoo probably does too. They are fighting each other, that's why her computer has slowed down. Turn one of them off, you don't need two. I would recommend you keep the Norton firewall. I have Windows Vista and Norton Anti Virus and had the same problem. this worked for me.

don't forget windows firewall. you should never have 2 or more virus programs running at once bacause they will fight with each other. I personally don't like norton because in my experience it is a system hog and makes the system run considerably slower. I use trend micro but there are free anti virus programs. Go to a sight like majorgeeks.com and look under virus programs. also get info from pcmag.com or pcworld.com to get reviews and help for problems.

McAfee came with my Vista program. When the version ran out I googled for a free one. I now use AVG Free Edition and It works great. It's free and so are the updates.

I used AVG for several years, and then began to have problems with the updates. So I changed to Avast which is also a free program, and is very good, in my opinion. It does a scan each time you log onto the internet, which slows it down temporarily, but this ensures that it is always up do date, and when the update is finished, a little voice tells you so. After that, it works in the background very efficiently without slowing down your computer. To find it just go to

www.avast.com
Harlean from Arkansas

I'm an AVG Fan! I've used this program for 8 years on the same computer and it's never let me down. My husband just bought a new computer and his came with Norton. We deleted that program and he d/l the free AVG from Grisoft. I don't know of anyone who uses Norton that likes it, except my brother-in-law and his computer is always down at the shop because of a virus Norton didn't catch and contain.

Norton is slow and not real good for the $$. Wanted to charge me for removing a virus that avg wiped clean for free.
There are some good ones on filehippo.com
Pretty much take your pick from free to commercial software. I use avg free on my desktop and am petty happy with it.

IMHO Get rid of any Norton software, total junk; no support and you'll live a life of Bluescreens.

Microsoft now offers their virus [Microsoft Security Essentials] and Malicious Removal Tools FREE.....
I'm definitely not a fan of Microsoft, but my computer guy swears by their software...
and I put McAfee right in their with Norton....get rid of them!!!
http://www.micr … roducts/mse.aspx
http://www.micr … ove/default.aspx