Consumer Advice

Cordless Phone Advice

I am looking for a new cordless phone. My old one which I love doesn't work well anymore. It was a 2.4GHz. I've tried 2 new ones that were expensive and they are 5.8GHz which I thought would be better, but for some reason they have static. Should I go back to a 2.4GHz, at least the old one was clear? Any suggestions?

Donna J.

Higher GHz is *supposed* to be better, but because so many people are on those, the static & interference is usually worse. I have 2 very old 900 MHz and they are crystal clear!

I wasted a lot of money buying inexpensive phones that didn't work well. A cousin suggested I buy a Uniden phone, since he has owned several with no problems. I took his good advice and got one I am happy with for $20 at Walmart. It has caller ID and headset jack, plus other nice features.

Have you tried buying a new battery for your old phone? It may be that the only thing wrong with it was the battery quit taking a charge. Check on the manufacturer's website (or the manuals if you still have it) for the battery number, then visit Best Buy, Walmart, etc. and see if they stock them.

Also, send an email to the manufacturer of the old phone and tell them how much you like their product. Maybe they'll send you a coupon toward a new phone. It's worth a try.

I have two GE 2.4 GHZ and have been very pleased.

The ones that had, were very poor are Bell South ... I had even exchanged for a new phone and still poor quality. AT&T phones never held up well, even going back to their old answering machines. My recommendation is to stay away from these brands.

Syd