Handy Device For Dog Training - A Pop Can

An empty pop can with a few pennies or washers in it. Put a small piece of duct tape over the hole to keep the pennies in. When dog exhibit inappropriate behaviour, just shake the can. It gets their attention in a hurry!

By KathyC

Yes, but then my dog would only think that it was another toy and play with the can. As it is, she loves to play with empty Coke cans and roll them across the floor just to hear the noise.

By Vic (Guest Post)

Most dogs however are afraid of them. But make sure you reward them when you get their attention. Yes! They stopped the annoying behavior. Always reward a correct behavior.

By (Guest Post)

I don't think I would use this method. To me, a noise device such as this will startle the dog and in effect will replace you yelling or raising your voice to them, neither of which I would wish. Babies have short attention spans and you have to allow for that and keep the sessions short. I don't believe in food rewards, either, though it works really well. I train horses and you just can't have 1200 lbs. of animal butting into you and trying to search your pockets when you are trying to teach them something. I agree with the reward method..and do it fast and complete, the very second that the animal even hints at making the right move and build from there. I have a sound that I make to show my displeasure and tell them that they made the wrong decision then patiently try again.

With horses, you cue, reward, they catch it, get slow at it again, then do it well and forever, all in the space of an hour or gradually in mini lessons if they are young. The quicker you reward the correct behaviour the better. It takes practise to do this believe it or not. You have to concentrate. I'm not a dog trainer and I can just imagine that there are all kinds of techniques out there, like there are for horses, but scaring an animal just makes him scared and not focused on you and what you want. i've found the hyper horses to be really fast learners and am hard pressed to keep up with them, they respond so fast...easy to train.

By Racer (Guest Post)

These cans work very nicely for distracting. Sometime you dont have to shake it loud, you just make a small distracting noise to get their attention and redirect. As in all training, don't ask for someting that you know the dog not likely be able to do. In other words, assure compliance by only asking for things at first that the dog is ready to do.

remember making the bigger noise is part of being alpha. If you are not the bigger noisemaker, the one who steps in the way of the other dog, and the one who eats first and decides when to do things, you are not the pack leader. All done with love though!