To Top

Fixing a Scratched Wall

I've recently moved into a new rented house, i have 6 months left to run on the lease. I have a wallpaper/wall problem, it's something I want to resolve myself rather than be over charged by my landlord at the end of my tenancy (deductible off my deposit). I've scuffed the wall with the end of my seat back rest and it has left a nice jaggy white thick line (doesn't stretch too far) on the wall.


Basically, I'm unsure of the wall combination i.e. does it have wallpaper under the coated paint, I think it does, judging by crease lines running down all sections of the walls. Going with that theory they've wallpapered with white foam style, (has bits sticking out of wall) wallpaper and painted over that in a light blue paint.

Has anyone got any advice at all to help me solve this problem/reduce the costs. Call out professionals or do it myself?

From a poor student :/


Vampire from Newcastle, UK

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

January 9, 20070 found this helpful

I'm not sure I understand about the scratch. A picture would have helped. If the scratch is not to big or noticible, just color it in with a marker, experiment a little in a corner where no one will see to match the color of the paint.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

January 9, 20070 found this helpful

we call this paper woodchip in the uk, u can get a piece for free from a sample roll in a decorating shop and believe it or not tear it rather than cut with scissors to cover the scratch, then paint desired color before sticking down it is almost unoticeabe once repaired im forever doing it round my house because of children making the walllpaper dirty or ripping it at their level


Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 10, 20070 found this helpful

A trick used to hide holes from wall hangings is to fill with white toothpaste. you could 'sculpt' it before it dries and then add color once it's hard. The trick would be in matching the color. You might want to ask your landlord what color the paint is. You can tell him you like it or something. Or, even ask if he had a little of it left for a small project you're working on. That would not be untrue. Good luck.


Reply Was this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post)
January 27, 20070 found this helpful

If I'm understanding you, you have rubbed a length

of wallpaper from the scratching from the back of a chair?

If not too wide, you might consider adding a chair rail trim of wood in a color to match/blend the wallpaper, or nearest wood cabinets, and go ahead and tell the owner that you had an accident and added the railing to repair the damage.

Measure before you add it, and watch for surplus wood being tossed curbside around areas of construction. Often times there are enough "chair railing" or 3-4"wide, longer trim pieces to do this. Remember that it doesn't have to be on all walls, only the one you damaged, unless it's on other walls as well.

I believe it will be the best suggestion under the circumstances.

Oh, there's another idea. You might be able to find border paper in a print that coordinates well with the

existing paper. It's about $10 for a roll of 12-15 feet and can be applied with wallpaper paste/school paste/Elmers white glue right over the damage.

Make certain that it is level to any window or floor. Use the table top if you have nothing else to keep it level, and spread only a light coat of glue smoothly all over the backside of the paper.

I doubt you will find the wallpaper to match anywhere, which is why I suggest a coordinating border of 4-6 ".

If you have the courage you might first call the owner and ask if you could add the paper because of a small accident in a small area. If the owner goes ballistic, it might have happened no matter what.

But, if you go ahead, and do a good job of matching/applying the border or trim,

the owner will likely like it and not get angry or deduct from your deposit for it. I've had things like that happen to me in all the 23 times I've had to move with my husband in past years. It's no fun.

We all make mistakes, the owner must know that.

This is "sort of" like "normal wear and tear" mentioned in most leases that cannot be considered

purposeful damage, depending on the strictness of the owner and wording of the lease agreement.

Just take you time, don't panic, but don't put it off once you decide what you want to do. Good luck again. : )

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Home and Garden Repair Home WallsJanuary 7, 2007
abstract tree wall decal
Making Vinyl Wall Decals
Eyeglasses That Need Repair
Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses
Scratched CD
Repairing Scratched CDs and DVDs
Man Putting Spackling Paste is Hole in Wall
Filling Nail Holes in a Wall
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/22 14:45:35 in 727 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!