HealthDogs

Long Term Health Effects on a Puppy That Survives Parvo

I just learned my little puppy, "Cookie" has parvo. She has been at the vet's for 48 hours. The vet called this morning and said Cookie had eaten all of her food and drank half of her water on her own last night. He also said she pulled her catheter out. He told me he was going to keep her off of the IV and if she continues eating on her own, I can bring her home on Sunday.

What I want to know is once a dog is diagnosed with parvo, is it a cruelty not putting her down or can she live a pain free and happy life?

I love this little dog so much, and don't want to lose her by any means. However, I do not want her suffering from this disease. Help what should I do?

By Maria from Salem, IL

She now has antibodies to Parvo and will never get it again. Many dogs get parvo from the vaccine. Build immune system with good food (raw diet best) Never any Purina anything please. Read about raw diet (Google). Best to fix food at home. If you are cooking to mix with raw it is cheaper and so easy. Big pot of sweet potatoes, veggies, sweet butter, a little sea salt, turkey, fish, brown rice and healthy stuff. divide into portions, that is pur love. No more vaccines for anything. warm bed, and love.

No more vaccines? That's a little dreamy, I must say. Vaccines are a necessary part of life if you ever have to board your dog.

It's also necessary if you live in an area where your dog can get rabies or even if you bring your dog to the dog park.

We had a chocolate lab parvo pup. She barely made it but lived to be 17 without any issues. Miss my old girl...she passed away last year.

Can the parvo virus cause brain damage in dogs that survive?

By Millie

Answers

I believe so, but am not sure of exact effects. I say yes because my brother was once watching a neighbor's dog who he said had had parvo and had suffered some cognitive damage.

He was quite sweet, but quiet and not too expressive... somewhat dull witted.