BusinessBusiness and Legal

Ideas for Opening a Small Home Based Sewing Business

Category Business

What's the best and cheapest way to start my own small home based sewing business?

By Bryon

Number one you would need a room set up specifically for this purpose. You would need a good quality sewing machine and a serger. People now, don't want to pay for clothes that have the basic homemade seams.

Although being a senior citizen that has been sewing since I was 8 years old and having learned the proper way to finish all the seams, I don't approve of serged seams unless it is in tee shirts or something like that.

To me it seems like more people are taking up sewing, for themselves, the last few years. The women that I know that do in home sewing, have very few jobs, and the client buys the pattern and the fabric, and then the home sewer charges $5.00 per yard of fabric. They also have two sewing machines and two sergers in case some thing goes wrong with a machine while they are in the middle of a project.

Before you start up I would recommend investigating the market for home sewers. From what I hear most people want mending and alterations done, instead of actual making a garment.

A friend of mine simply puts an add on Kijiji that she does home sewing and mending, and has more work than she can handle. She has her own machines, as she does her own home sewing and is a former home ec teacher.