Uses for Shortening

This is a guide about uses for shortening. Not only is this fat used in baking, it can be helpful in a variety of other ways as a moisturizer and around the house.

I have very dry skin, especially my feet. I use very little vegetable shortening in cooking and had a can of shortening in the pantry. I remembered reading somewhere that vegetable shortening is very moisturizing, so for the past week, I have been applying the vegetable shortening to my dry feet especially the heels, then putting on a pair of socks to hold the moisture in. WOW, I am amazed at the difference in my heels and other dry places on my feet. It really does work.

As Winter approaches and my hands become dryer, I plan to do the same on my hands. I am looking for an inexpensive pair of thin gloves to put on during the bedtime hours. Of course, my husband thinks I am nuts and not very romantic. Hopefully, I won't have to do this often.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Uses for shortening, other than cooking. Post your ideas.

I keep a plastic container with shortening in it. When I need to grease a pan, I use a small baggy. Pull baggy over your hand, dip it in the shortening, and grease your pan. When finished greasing, slip the baggy off into garbage. No more messy hands. If you are frugal, slip your hand out of the baggy, into the shortening container, and leave it there and use it multiple times.

By June from Toronto, Canada