ClothingCleaning

Fading from Homemade Laundry Detergent

Right now I use 1 cup powdered fels naptha, 1/2 cup of borax, and 1/2 cup of washing soda which I mix and make a dry mix laundry powder. I use 1/4 cup every time I wash a big load. Do you know how much this recipe fades clothes in comparison to Gain or Tide in particular Gain?

Is there anyone who used Gain and now uses this recipe or a very similar recipe that can tell me how the fading on clothes between the homemade powder and the Gain compare?

Mary

By Jan from Bangor ME (Guest Post)

I have been using the same recipe as yours for 2 years now and have no fading problems, but I only use 1 TBLS for light loads or 2 TBLS for heavy loads! I think you may be using too much. My daughter in college has me make a batch for her and it last her all semester.

By reniesue (Guest Post)

When I had lots of laundry I used homemade laundry soap and had no problems with fading that I remember. It worked great.

This isn't a harsh detergent, but a mild soap. Fading would be minimal if at all--I've had no problem.

Any bought detergent (with additives) would be worse. If you've had a fading problem, it must be caused by something else.

The amount of chlorine in your water supply determines the amount of fading in your clothes. Municipal supplies tend to have higher amounts. you can pre-wash your clothes with a cup of vinegar and a couple of tbsp of kosher salt to set the colors. Soak in this mixture for a couple of hours. You need to do this only once. I put 1/2 cup vinegar in my rinse cycle to soften clothes and keep things bright. Excess soap and minerals are also removed by doing this.