Less Odors from the Cat Box

When cleaning cat boxes, the ammonia smell lingers. Although ammonia is a weak base, it can also be a weak acid. Sure stinks, though. So let's add cat urine and notice it's PH level is also slightly acidic. My solution was to reduce the acidity by putting a small layer of wood ash from my fireplace in the bottom of the cat box, then add the litter. The lower PH of the ashes neutralizes the odor.

Source: Chemistry class, 1967

By Ken from Anaconda, MT

What a great tip! I never would have thought of that.
Thanks!

That's really interesting! I don't have a fireplace, but my mom has a pellet-burning stove, wonder if that would work as well? Thanks for the idea!

When cleaning out the litter box for my cat, I scrub the box outside with a watering holes and water, or you can use a basin in your basement. When you clean out the box, before you put the litter in, fill a 1/4 inch around the box with baking soda and uncooked plain rice (the white kind). This helps curb the smell after a day of use by your cat(s) or your kitten(s). You will be surprise at the outcome. :O)

Source: I did this on my cat Oreo and it works wonders!

By Kelly from Medina, OH

Add a cup of baking soda to the cat box. It will help cut down on odors.

Answers:

Less Odors from the Cat Box

Hi, I use the kitty litter that you can scoop out with a litter spoon. I use a slotted spoon that from the $ store, the holes are much smaller and I can get the little stuff out. Makes the litter last a lot longer. (05/18/2004)

By Liz

Pets Pet OdorsMarch 8, 2011
🍀
💘