Remedies for Shih Tzu With Eye Drainage

Category Health

My Shih Tzu is about 7 years of age and she has always had at least some drainage from her eyes, but now it seems I have to wipe her eyes out several times per day. The mucus or whatever it is, is clear though, but if you don't get it wiped out it will harden.

By Don

Switch her drinking water to distilled water. It should fix your problem.

It may be a eye infection even though it is not colored. My dog gets eye infections every now and then and sometimes the eye gunk (as I call it) is not colored. When he has the infection I have to wipe away the gunk from his eyes about two to three times a day. If I don't clean his eyes that often the gunk also hardens.

My vet gives me drops to apply twice a day. My dog hates them and will not let me put the drops in his eyes, so I have to wait until he is sleeping and sneak them in. I can only do one eye at a time this way, but at least he gets the medicine.