Discouraging Tent Caterpillars

We live in southern Ontario, Canada, and tent caterpillars are a big problem. We always had them on our few fruit trees until I read somewhere of a cheap way to discourage them. Just wrap aluminum foil around the tree trunk before it starts to branch out and secure with string. Make sure you do it as soon as possible in the spring. I was skeptical but for two years now, we have been free of the pesky things.

By Marion

When our town had a tent worm infestation, not too many years ago, we put duct tape around the trunk of the tree - about 3 feet up. I made sure the duct tape was wrapped enough to be at least a foot high. After I put that on, I smeared each duct tape thoroughly with Vaseline. The following spring, I removed all the duct tape. If it's not removed, the tree will eventually rot where the tape is.

By Judy (Guest Post)

Thanks for your advice, I am on my way to the yard now to give it a try with the foil wrap......our trees are being eaten alive......